by Lindsay Braden - Researcher Anglesea & District Historical Society
Angahook Cafe & Stores 1929
Reg and Ivy Baldry founded this well-known General Store in 1929. In 1937 they moved to Lome. Employee Marion Francis managed this establishment for them until 1942. She was then given the chance to purchase the business and freehold on land 165ft x 129 ft. and became proprietress of the Angahook store and Cafe.
The shop had two front entrance doors to comply with the Law of the time, allowing the Grocery section to be closed off on a Sunday. The building contained a General Store, a grocery section, plus dining room and kitchen. There was also a small accommodation area. Marion Francis died in 1963 - some say Anglesea has never been quite the same since.
The establishment named for some time as 'Maid Marions' is alive and well in 2002, and has reverted back to it's original name of Angahook Cafe & Stores.