by Lindsay Braden - Researcher Anglesea & District Historical Society
The Hereford & The Inverlochy
Anglesea's Loveridge Lookout is adjacent to a significant area where the Great Ocean Road first comes alongside the sea.
The Iron Clipper 'HEREFORD' was abandoned after striking the eastern reef in 1881. Cargo was later recovered, enabling the lightened ship to be towed off the reef and into port.
The Iron Barque 'INVERLOCHY' was stranded on the western reef during 1902 and abandoned.
It would seem that in misty conditions bearings were lost after the Aireys Light was mistaken for that of Pt, Lonsdale.
Much of the cargo was salvaged. The iron hull eventually broke up and disappeared from view.
A lifebelt and log book from the 'Inverlochy' are on display at the Anglesea & District Historical Society.